Molly has written speeches, op-eds, news articles, fact pieces, long-form academic policy reports, and advocacy briefs. This page is a collection of her published work.
Long-form Policy Reports:
- “From Kuwait to America, Gender-Based Killings Considered Less Than Murder,” The Century Foundation, July 26, 2018, https://tcf.org/content/report/kuwait-america-gender-based-killings-considered-less-murder/.
- “Reproductive Health Care: A Favorite Target in America,” The Century Foundation, January 19, 2017, https://tcf.org/content/report/reproductive-health-care-favorite-target-america/.
Short-form Policy Commentaries:
- “How Will Congress’s Latest COVID-19 Relief Package Address Paid Sick and Family Leave?” Coauthored with Julie Kashen and Jamila Taylor, The Century Foundation, March 27, 2020, https://tcf.org/content/commentary/will-congresss-latest-covid-19-relief-package-address-paid-sick-family-leave/.
- “Reconciling the Proposed House and Senate Sexual Harassment Accountability Bills,” The Century Foundation, June 14, 2018, https://tcf.org/content/commentary/reconciling-proposed-house-senate-sexual-harassment-accountability-bills/.
- “Women’s Underrepresentation in Politics: No, It’s Not Just an Ambition Gap,” The Century Foundation, September 21, 2017, https://tcf.org/content/commentary/womens-underrepresentation-politics-no-not-just-ambition-gap/.
- “Want to End Syria’s War? Ensure Greater Role for Women in Peace Talks,” The Century Foundation, July 11, 2016, https://tcf.org/content/commentary/want-end-syrias-war-ensure-greater-role-women-peace-talks/.
Journalism (Reporting and Features):
- “Teachers Share Their Concerns About Education Politics in the US,” VICE Impact, July 25, 2017, https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/qvp9y5/teachers-share-their-concerns-about-education-politics-in-the-us.
- “Teachers Shape the Next Generation, But Can They Live Off Their Salaries?,” VICE Impact, July 24, 2017, https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/bjx48m/teachers-shape-the-next-generation-but-can-they-live-off-their-salaries.
- “Having More Women in Power Is Not Just About Being Fair,” VICE Impact, June 1, 2017, https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/qv4453/having-more-women-in-power-is-not-just-about-being-fair.
- “When Peace and Justice Don’t Line Up: Restorative Lessons from Colombia,” The Huffington Post, November 4, 2016, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margaret-bangs/when-peace-and-justice-do_b_12800232.html.
- “Bad Apples Cannot Explain ICE’s Forced Sterilization,” Coauthored with Ashley Underwood, Equity Forward Blog, October 29, 2020, https://equityfwd.org/bad-apples-cannot-explain-ices-forced-sterilization.
- “Pompeo’s Commission on ‘Unalienable Rights’ Prioritizes Property Over People,” Truthout, July 28, 2020, https://truthout.org/articles/pompeos-commission-on-unalienable-rights-prioritizes-property-over-people/.
- “On Anger, Politics, and Hope in the Age of COVID-19,” Medium, April 20, 2020, https://medium.com/@mollybangs/on-anger-politics-and-hope-in-the-age-of-covid-19-8a4b72abd110?source=friends_link&sk=1a03f8388819e8273a4d1f4d24e62b37.
All Published Work:
Author Page URL: https://tcf.org/experts/molly-bangs/
- How Will Congress’s Latest COVID-19 Relief Package Address Paid Sick and Family Leave? (March 27, 2020 with Julie Kashen and Jamila Taylor, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/will-congresss-latest-covid-19-relief-package-address-paid-sick-family-leave/)
- From Kuwait to America, Gender-Based Killings Considered Less Than Murder (July 26, 2018, URL: https://tcf.org/content/report/kuwait-america-gender-based-killings-considered-less-murder/)
- Paid Family Leave Should Not Come at the Expense of Retirement (July 16, 2018, with Julie Kashen, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/paid-family-leave-not-come-expense-retirement/)
- Annapolis Journalists Are Murdered In Age of Burgeoning Attacks on Journalists, Disparagement of Press (June 29, 2018, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/annapolis-journalists-murdered-age-burgeoning-attacks-journalists-disparagement-press/)
- The Domestic Gag Rule Is Disastrous for Women’s Health and Reproductive Rights (June 20, 2018, URL: https://tcf.org/content/facts/domestic-gag-rule-disastrous-womens-health-reproductive-rights/)
- Reconciling the Proposed House and Senate Sexual Harassment Accountability Bills (June 14, 2018, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/reconciling-proposed-house-senate-sexual-harassment-accountability-bills/)
- Holding Politicians Accountable for Sexual Assault (January 23, 2018, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/holding-politicians-accountable-sexual-assault/)
- In the Time of #MeToo, Will Colleges Hold the Line on Title IX? (October 30, 2017, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/time-metoo-will-colleges-hold-line-title-ix/)
- Women’s Underrepresentation in Politics: No, It’s Not Just an Ambition Gap (September 21, 2017, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/womens-underrepresentation-politics-no-not-just-ambition-gap/)
- Bipartisan Mission to End Sexual Violence Confronts Rape Kit Backlog (June 27, 2017, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/bipartisan-mission-end-sexual-violence-confronts-rape-kit-backlog/)
- 3-K for All: A Win for Children, Working Families, and Gender Equality (April 25, 2017, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/3-k-win-children-working-families-gender-equality/.
- The War on Women’s Health Care Continues at the Hands of Mostly Men (April 3, 2017, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/war-womens-health-care-continues-congress-hands-mostly-men/)
- House Health Care Bill Could Hurt Reproductive Rights (March 20, 2017, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/house-health-care-bill-hurt-reproductive-rights/)
- How the Global Gag Rule Impedes Women’s Health and Reproductive Rights (February 28, 2017, URL: https://tcf.org/content/facts/global-gag-rule-impedes-womens-health-reproductive-rights/)
- Reproductive Health Care: A Favorite Target in America (January 19, 2017, URL: https://tcf.org/content/report/reproductive-health-care-favorite-target-america/)
- Will the White House Continue the Fight against Campus Sexual Violence? (January 10, 2017, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/will-white-house-continue-fight-campus-sexual-violence/)
- Ikea Is Right: Hourly Workers Need Paid Parental Leave, Too (December 7, 2016, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/ikea-right-hourly-workers-need-paid-parental-leave/)
- Deloitte Makes Latest Private Sector Move for Paid Family Leave, Inclusive of All Caregivers (September 13, 2016, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/deloitte-makes-latest-private-sector-move-paid-family-leave-inclusive-caregivers/)
- The United States Can’t Afford to Forget about the Sustainable Development Goals (September 9, 2016, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/united-states-cant-afford-forget-sustainable-development-goals/)
- Gun Violence Coverage, Consumption Paint False Reality (Coauthored with Maya Miller, August 1, 2016, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/gun-violence-coverage-consumption-paint-false-reality/)
- Want to End Syria’s War? Ensure Greater Role for Women in Peace Talks (July 11, 2016, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/want-end-syrias-war-ensure-greater-role-women-peace-talks/)
- Working Toward Peace in Syria with Education (May 25, 2016, URL: https://tcf.org/content/commentary/working-toward-peace-syria-education/)
- 9 Ways Colleges Should Support Underrepresented Students (May 18, 2016, URL: https://tcf.org/content/facts/9-ways-colleges-support-underrepresented-students/)
- The Facts Behind Why Americans Need Nationwide Paid Family Leave (May 11, 2016, URL: https://tcf.org/content/facts/facts-behind-americans-need-nationwide-paid-family-leave/)
- Integration in the United States through the Eyes of Syrian Refugees (April 20, 2016, https://tcf.org/content/commentary/integration-united-states-eyes-syrian-refugees/)
Author Page URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/contributor/molly-bangs
- Having More Women in Power Is Not Just About Being Fair (June 1, 2017, URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/qv4453/having-more-women-in-power-is-not-just-about-being-fair)
- Women’s March Activists Set Their Sights on the 2018 Midterm Elections (January 22, 2018, URL: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vby8q9/womens-march-activists-set-their-sights-on-the-2018-midterm-elections)
- A Year Later, the Women’s March Movement Is Primed for Political Victory (January 19, 2018, URL: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbynwb/a-year-later-the-womens-march-movement-is-primed-for-political-victory)
- Why the Battle Over Trump’s Court Appointees is a Game-Changer (January 5, 2018, URL: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/kzn3kx/why-the-battle-over-trumps-court-appointees-is-a-game-changer)
- Here’s What’s Next for the UN As They Move Closer to Their Global Goals Deadline (September 20, 2017, URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/a3kea5/heres-whats-next-for-the-un-as-they-move-closer-to-their-global-goals-deadline)
- A Non-Profit Is Training Grandmas to Become Solar Engineers in Rural Areas Worldwide (September 8, 2017, URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/neea98/a-school-is-training-grandmas-to-become-solar-engineers-in-india-and-africa)
- Here Are Significant Standout Bipartisan Efforts of the Last Decade (August 4, 2017, URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/a3ex9g/here-are-some-standout-bipartisan-efforts-of-the-last-decade)
- Teachers Share Their Concerns About Education Politics in the US (July 25, 2017, URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/qvp9y5/teachers-share-their-concerns-about-education-politics-in-the-us)
- Teachers Shape the Next Generation, But Can They Live Off Their Salaries? (July 24, 2017, URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/bjx48m/teachers-shape-the-next-generation-but-can-they-live-off-their-salaries)
- These Are the Past Social Movements That Actually Make America Great (June 30, 2017, URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/xwzz34/these-are-the-past-social-movements-that-actually-make-america-great)
- China Is the World’s Climate Change Rising Star (May 23, 2017, URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/d3g98k/china-is-the-worlds-climate-change-rising-star)
- As Bonn Climate Talks Kick Off, Has the U.S. Lost All Credibility? (May 10, 2017, URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/nz83vx/as-bonn-climate-talks-kick-off-has-the-us-lost-all-credibility)
- Bonn Climate Talks Are Next Week, and Here’s Why You Should Care (May 5, 2017, URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/53ngpb/bonn-climate-talks-are-next-week-and-why-you-should-care)
- How Public Is Your Water? (May 3, 2017, URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/qkg4wm/how-public-is-your-water)
- Water Rights are Civil Rights and Civil Rights are Human Rights (April 27, 2017, URL: https://impact.vice.com/en_us/article/4x9b3j/water-rights-are-civil-rights-and-civil-rights-are-human-rights)
Author Page URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margaret-bangs/
- When Peace and Justice Don’t Line Up: Restorative Lessons from Colombia (November 4, 2016, URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margaret-bangs/when-peace-and-justice-do_b_12800232.html)
- While Nature Might Not Discriminate, the Effects of Climate Change Do (May 23, 2016, URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margaret-bangs/while-nature-might-not-di_b_10111208.html)
- Revamping Our Focus on the Green SDGs—Because We’re All Human ( February 9, 2016, URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margaret-bangs/revamping-our-focus-on-the-green-sdgs_b_9186926.html)
- 48 Male Politicians Push For More Women Leaders Worldwide (March 8, 2016, URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/male-politicians-push-for-women-leaders_us_56ddf7b8e4b0000de4058b37)
- Documentary Teaches Indian Police The Reality of Reporting Rape (December 3, 2015, URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/daughters-of-india_us_56449736e4b060377347cbab)
- Global Photographers Capture The Flag (Coauthored with Lance Gould, October 1, 2015, URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/global-goals-raised-world_us_560d4f4de4b076812700f3df)
- Why The Global Water Crisis Is A Gender Rights Issue (September 29, 2015, URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/water-crisis-gender-rights_us_56099ad0e4b0768126fea1c0)
- Why You Need To Care About Illegal Fishing (September 28, 2015, URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/united-nations-sdgs-overfishing_us_56083853e4b0768126fded3b)
- This Preventable Issue Is Keeping Kids Out Of School And There’s An Easy Solution (September 28, 2015, URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/united-nations-sdgs-child-health-and-education_us_5606a1dbe4b0af3706dc773f)
Author Page URL: https://medium.com/@mollybangs
- On Anger, Politics, and Hope in the Age of COVID-19 (April 10, 2020, URL: https://medium.com/@mollybangs/on-anger-politics-and-hope-in-the-age-of-covid-19-8a4b72abd110?source=friends_link&sk=1a03f8388819e8273a4d1f4d24e62b37)
Author Page URL: https://truthout.org/authors/molly-bangs/
Pompeo’s Commission on “Unalienable Rights” Prioritizes Property Over People (July 28, 2020, URL: https://truthout.org/articles/pompeos-commission-on-unalienable-rights-prioritizes-property-over-people/)
- Title X Under Siege (2019, URL: https://equityfwd.org/sites/default/files/title_x_under_siege_ef_summary_doc.pdf)
- The Heritage Foundation’s Health Department: How an Increasingly Radical Right Wing Think Tank Is Controlling HHS — to the Detriment of Reproductive Health and Other Human Rights (April 25, 2019, URL: https://equityfwd.org/sites/default/files/ef-417report-v7-digital.pdf)
- The Ministerial on Religious Freedom: Pompeo’s Last Extremist Hurrah (November 13, 2020: URL: https://equityfwd.org/ministerial-religious-freedom-pompeos-last-extremist-hurrah)
- Bad Apples Cannot Explain ICE’s Forced Sterilization (Coauthored with Ashley Underwood, October 29, 2020, URL: https://equityfwd.org/bad-apples-cannot-explain-ices-forced-sterilization)
- Introducing “Forward Thinking”, Equity Forward’s Blog (October 15, 2020, URL: https://equityfwd.org/introducing-forward-thinking-equity-forwards-blog)
Author Page URL: http://thecollegevoice.org/author/mbangs/